Independent School Entrance – Getting your child into the right school from pre-prep to 6th form
Independent School Entrance contains all the information you need if you want to send your child to an independent school. Where do you go for the best advice? This accessible guide gives you all the information you need to make an informed choice and support your child through the application process. We’ve gathered together expert advice, case studies and tips from other parents to give you a complete overview in one easy-to-use handbook.
- How to choose and apply to an independent school
- Inside information from the experts: heads of UK independent schools
- Beyond league tables and prospectuses, advice on everything from choosing a school to financial aid and acing the interview
- Packed with checklists and real-life tips from parents who have already gone through independent school entrance
Chapters cover subjects including
- Costs and benefits of independent school
- What will an independent school education actually cost?
- How do I apply from the state sector?
- Choosing a school
- How important is choosing the right school?
- Is a boarding school right for my child?
- Starting at pre-prep and prep school
- Should we start independent school this early?
- How competitive is entry into pre-prep and prep school?
- Admission to pre-prep and prep
- What will the assessment be like?
- How should my child prepare?
- Moving to senior school
- When should my child change schools?
- How many schools should we apply to?
- Admissions to senior school
- Should I hire a tutor?
- What happens at interviews?
- Exams at 11+
- Exams at 13+
- Changing for sixth form
- Why change schools at sixth form?
- Should my child do A levels or IB?
- Admissions to sixth form
- What will the assessment by like?
- Alternatives to independent school
- Secondary qualifications in the UK useful websites
Victoria Barker is a retired academic who spent many years teaching in the tertiary sector. She is the author of several books on children’s literacy, and the well-received The 11+ and 13+ Handbook.