University Entrance – A parent’s guide to UCAS and more
University Entrance contains everything you need to know to help your nearly-grown-up child make a smooth transition from school to university entrance. Not just a ‘how to’ on personal statements and application forms (although we cover that too), this book guides you through the process and gives you a clear understanding of the steps involved, the selection criteria and how to decide what’s really important to your child.
- The indispensable UCAS application guide to finding the right university and getting in
- From choosing a degree to applying for financial aid, writing a killer personal statement, surviving clearing and taking a gap year
- Inside information from some of the UK’s leading universities
- Packed with practical checklists and real-life tips from parents who have already gone through the process themselves
Chapters cover subjects including
- Introduction to UCAS
- What is UCAS?
- What does a degree cost?
- Making decisions
- Is higher education the right path?
- To gap or not to gap?
- Choosing a subject
- Is school exam performance a good basis for degree choice?
- Does the choice of course affect career prospects?
- Choosing a university
- Where can information on universities be found?
- How about studying abroad?
- Preparing to apply
- What does my child need to do before applying?
- What makes a good personal statement?
- Completing the application
- How does the application process work?
- What is the application process for universities abroad?
- Hearing back
- What responses might universities give?
- What if my child doesn’t get an offer?
- What happens next?
- What happens on results day?
- What if my child does better than expected?
- University life
- What will university be like?
- What’s the cost of student living?
- Alternatives to university
Download the UCAS 2018/19 Key Deadlines here UCAS 2018 Gresham
University Entrance was written by Jonathan Watts, an educational consultant who spent 24 years as Head of History and Politics at Benenden School and Cora Saint who was formerly Director of Careers and College Guidance at Benenden School and has formal training in careers guidance.